- Luc Trouche (France)
- Susanne Prediger (Germany)
- Patricia Camarena (Mexico)
- Soledad Ulep (The Philippines)
- Jana Trgalova (France)
Challenges and possibilities posed by different perspectives and theoretical approaches in mathematics education research
The large diversity of different perspectives and theoretical approaches in the mathematics education research community has often been described. It poses challenges for international communication, for the integration of empirical results into a bigger corpus of scientific knowledge and in the long run for a cumulative and joint progress in the research field.
On the other hand, the diversity of different perspectives is unavoidable due to very different traditions and focuses. Even stronger, some researchers (including the organizing team) consider it to be a rich resource that enables researchers to grasp the complexity of the research objects.
The discussion group focuses not only on challenges, but also on possible strategies for connecting perspectives for a better understanding of complex phenomena in mathematics teaching and learning.
In order to avoid a too abstract discussion without concrete basis, we will refer to concrete research projects in the field of mathematics teaching and learning (most preferably, but not only with a special attention paid to ICT, i.e. Information and Communications Technology, its design and use):
- How are different perspectives and theoretical approaches reflected in concrete research practices? (Exemplify the expression of different theories on research practices);
- Where has the diversity of perspectives and theoretical approaches been used as a resource for a better understanding of complex phenomena? (exemplify the use different perspectives for understanding empirical phenomena);
- What strategies can be used to connect different perspectives and approaches in concrete research projects? (connect different theories for their development)? How can different theoretical approaches learn from each other?
For the participants!
Thanks for participating to DG13 sessions! You could find below some documents related to our work. Do not hesitate to react by sending email to the co-chairs of the DG!
For the OT members
- end of August, making available the data (video, transcript, translation) on the website;
- end of September, sending his/her own analysis, from his/her own theoretical perspective;
- end of November, frame with meta-theoretical perspectives;
- end of December, frame of a paper.